Friday, March 5, 2010

Soul food


"You know what I love about cooking? I love that after a day where nothing is sure–and when I say nothing, I mean nothing–you can come home and absolutely know that if you add egg yolks to chocolate and sugar and milk, it will get thick. It’s such a comfort."

-Julie Powell, Julie and Julia


There are days when the world just doesn't make sense; when I am surprised and disappointed by human failings (including my own). Today has been one of those days. Work has been sticky, complicated, and full of unnecessary drama, and I am physically and mentally exhausted from two weeks of dragging dozens of boxes/bags/suitcases between three households.

But as I sit, glassy-eyed in front of my computer, longing for five o'clock to roll around, I am reminded of the above film quote and it brings me unexpected relief and comfort. Cooking and baking are such a joy. They are predictable and reliable adventures that empower and nourish not only the body, but the soul. I am so thankful to have such a creative outlet! Speaking of which, I can't wait to try the Pioneer Woman's decadent Maple Cinnamon Rolls recipe-- hopefully this weekend!

Thank heavens for the sweet, little blessings in life ;)

1 tales:

Kami said...

I agree completely. Have fun with the cinnamon rolls! They are amazing.