Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Food, food, and more food!


I am sitting at my desk, in my new room, in my new apartment, feeling very much at home in my own snug, sweet space. Time to blog about the last few weeks and all of the scrumptious new recipes I tried!

First up, was The Pioneer Woman's Beef Enchiladas. Let me mention quickly just how much I LOVE enchiladas. Seriously, if I could marry a food, it might be that. But I've always been a flour tortilla girl and Ree's recipe called for corn... The few times I've had corn tortillas, they've been dry and tasteless. Well, guess what? I wasn't preparing them correctly!


First we got the sauce, chicken broth, and cilantro going...



Then we got the before-dinner munchies. Chips and salsa to the rescue!



Ground beef, onion, and chilies



My man smells meat. And he loves it.



Lightly frying the corn tortillas before baking them-- best thing ever!



Seriously. It makes them pliable and delicious.





After dipping each tortilla in the sauce, we stuffed 'em full of deliciousness: green onions, diced black olives, and cheese. Mmmm...



The glorious finished product!



The verdict? Probably the best enchiladas I've ever had-- I almost licked my plate. In fact, I'm almost licking the screen right now.


About two weeks later, I finally got the chance to make Ree's incredible maple cinnamon rolls. Sugar, butter, maple flavoring, and coffee-- what's not to love?


This recipe, while worth every toil and penny, is time-consuming and should not be started at 6:00 pm on a Sunday night, no matter how much one is craving sugary, gooey goodness. Fortunately, my favorite kitchen sidekick was on hand to help ;)



He loved kneading that dough! I had to elbow him out of the way for my turn!



Rolling it out so we could dump unseemly amounts of melted butter, sugar, and cinnamon on top...



Hello, big roll of dough!



This recipe makes a lot of cinnamon buns.



We're talking a lot, a lot.



Whipping up the fabulous maple, coffee frosting. I think I got a little too excited with the coffee...it sorta kinda turned the frosting into a glaze. Oh well, still yummy!



Fresh out of the oven and smelling like heaven!





I think I ate this is three bites. It's close-your-eyes-and-sigh-happily good.



I don't know why I like taking photos of empty plates. Proof, I guess. Proof of what, you ask? Of delciosity, I reply.



Got milk?


And finally...on Saturday, before we began painting his bathroom, I made up a batch of marionberry pancakes with my trusty Trader Joe's multi-grain baking mix. Love that stuff. I had a ton of leftover, frozen gin-soaked marionberries left over from when I made homemade brandy with KC's mother, and they were so tart and wonderful in the pancakes. Topped off with maple syrup and powdered sugar-- a little slice of heaven.


KC proclaimed these the best pancakes he's ever had. You know what? I'll take it.


Wow. This has turned into a two hour post! You'll have to wait for my review of "Alice in Wonderland" later ;)

0 tales: