Saturday, October 4, 2008

Autumn in Japan


Whenever the seasons change, I can't help but remember what they brought for me when I lived in Japan. Autumn and spring were my favorite times of year there, especially the latter. A true Japanese autumn, at least in Kansai, doesn't begin until around November. When it hits, it's best to head to Kyoto to view the spectacular leaves, which in their prime boast of such brilliant scarlets, oranges, and golds, that the hilltops look like forests of fire. Fall also means eating yakiimo and laying into steaming pots of nabe. Parasols are exchanged for scarves, gloves, and boots, and strangely enough skirt lengths seem to get shorter. Perhaps in an effort to show off those new boots?

My first autumn in Kyoto:









Parts of the traditional cuisine change as well, as everything is seasonal. Wagashi might take on the shape of a leaf, and bento boxes often have a fall theme. I confess myself fascinated by bento lunches. Especially when they're cute and have fun shapes! I even have my own little bento box and wrapping scarf that I purchased from Loft, one of my favorite Japanese depato. I have yet to pack my own nifty, seasonal lunch, probably because I still cling to the memory of the delicious ones I used to buy from the restaurant nextdoor to my school. For more on bento lunches, check out this community group on livejournal. I love seeing people share their enthusiasm for Japanese culture!


Another part of Japanese autumn is moon viewing. According to Asian folklore, there is a Tsuki no Usagi (or Moon Rabbit), and it's possible to catch a glimpse of this lunar bunny during Tsukimi or "jugoya" (which literally means the fifteenth night). Tsukimi is a moon viewing festival that usually takes place in mid-September and is celebrated with poetry, special dango, and sake. It's such a part of Japanese culture, that it has become pop culture too! Visiting my local Sannomiya Starbucks one day, I happened upon a purple mug with the Tsuki no Usagi on its handle. Naturally, it came home with me to America ;)

Halloween is a very Western concept for most Japanese, but it is slowly gaining some ground in the bigger cities. Last October, I was perusing the aisles of Loft with my friend and former student, Hitomi, when we spotted a large Halloween display. It had spooky masks, witches hats, a few costumes, and tons of candy. Televisions blasting a Halloween music video, set in a graveyard to Western music, blared nearby. We were both highly amused.


Hitomi models what the trendy witches were wearing that season ^^


My old flatmate, Rebecca, shows off the Halloween mask that came with our pumpkin pocky

In short, autumn is an ideal time for visiting Japan. The real chill of winter doesn't set in until mid-December, so October and November are very pleasant months!

If I let myself, I could be heartsick over homesickness for Japan. I find that posting entries like this helps with that. Thanks for tagging along, dear readers ;)

0 tales: