Happy Wednesday, folks! Welcome to the second month of the new year ;) Can you believe it's February already? I turn thirty in less than two weeks. How...odd.
What's that, blogsphere? You'd like another list of Sarah's current favorites? Well, I'm happy to oblige!
1.) Avatar: The Last Airbender
I recently discovered this Nickelodeon cartoon, courtesy of KC. Technically, it's a children's show; but the artwork, storyline, characters, and concepts are so imaginative and fantastic. Part of Avatar's appeal, is its graceful fusion of Asian (primarily Chinese) cultures, but what really makes the show so likable are the wonderful characters. I'm three episodes in and already completely hooked. The lead hero Aang, a goofy twelve-year-old "airbender" monk, is utterly charming. My inner pre-teen has a mushy crush on him.
To my great delight, I also found that the live-action version, "The Last Airbender", is coming to theaters this July! It's directed by M. Night Shyamalan (I know, I know. Some of his movies are hit or miss-- but this one should be right up his alley) and the teaser trailer is pretty awesome.
2.) February
I'm just loving this month. All of the frou-frou pinks, reds, roses, and hearts. It just makes me want to wear sparkly, shiny shades of pink MAC make-up. Granted, I didn't always used to feel this way, but this year is different. With a slew of birthdays and a one-year anniversary to plan for, I love plotting surprises! And I'm such a sucker for lovely, unique cards from places like Oblation and Papyrus. So with so many excuses to get my girliness on, what's not to like?
3.) Geisha and Kyoto
I'm back on my "flower and willow world" kick, and pouring over my books on the geisha (or geiko, as they're called in Kyoto) culture. It's still as fascinating to me as it was five years ago, when I first started studying them. After living in Japan, and visited several of the hanamachi ("flower towns") or geisha districts and encountering the mysterious visions themselves, I have developed a new appreciation for their closed and secretive society. It's hard to decide which aspect I appreciate most: the gorgeous kimono and hairstyles, the geisha history, their strict training regime, or their classic style of music and dancing.
A couple of years ago, my mother gave me Liza Dalby's "Geisha" for Christmas, which I've finally just started reading. It contains Dalby's (an anthropologist who specializes in Japanese culture) research and experiences while living in Kyoto among geisha. In order to really delve into the geisha culture, Liza decided to become one herself- the only foreigner ever to do so! 
Mom and I, made up as a geiko and a maiko (an apprentice geisha), May 2007
4.) Beyoncé
Seriously, is girl even capable of making a crappy song? Or being anything but gorgeous?
5.) Family time
Whether it's time spent with my family or KC's, I love being able to get together for low-key events where there's lots of good food and laughter. I'm blessed to have such good company in my life! ;)
Wednesday, February 3, 2010
Lovin' it
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 tales:
Post a Comment