Tuesday, April 8, 2008

How should I be so lucky?


After lamenting the fact that I'll be missing out on the OBT's autumn run of "Swan Lake", I've just discovered that "Rose of Versailles" will be having its Japanese national tour at the same time. Which means that even I, waaaay out in western Honshu, will be able to see it if it comes to Fukuoka. That I was able to see the famous "Elisabeth" twice is pure luck, but having the opportunity to see another of Takarazuka's most popular shows? Too good to be true. What's more, my favorite troupe, Hanagumi, will be performing a version of it with it's new top star, Matobu Sei. It's been so long since I've seen one of their productions! I know this trip to Japan isn't about Takarazuka, per se, but it would be fun to see at least one show while I was there.

Cristin, I think you would enjoy "Elisabeth", as it has elements similar to "Labyrinth". You have your Hades/Persephone characters and the timeless seducing-of-the-young-maiden plot. Except that it's also a musical about the Austrian Empress, Elisabeth, and her fervent and sometimes creepy admirer/stalker, Der Tod (Death). Jareth and Der Tod have a lot in common, I find. Especially in the wardrobe department...


Jareth



One of the many Japanese Der Tods


Maybe they have the same stylist?

2 tales:

cmrpaul said...

I think they must! haha! Thanks for the tip. I'm not exactly one for musicals but if I have the opportunity, I'll definitely give it a shot.

Jeni Q said...

Heh. :)