Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Allons-y!




Words cannot even begin to describe the depth of yay that was the Doctor Who season premiere. Laugh-out-loud funny, original, fun, with an unexpected stab of angst. It exceeded my greatest hopes! I watched it once by myself and then watched it again later with Mom. Naturally, she loved it too. Donna and the Doctor are fabulous together and, strangely, balance each other out. There were so many amusing little moments-- Catherine Tate and David Tennant seem to be the masters of screwball humor. Can't wait for Saturday's episode about Pompeii!

Tonight my copy of the BBC production of "Sense and Sensibility" arrived from Amazon.com. Mom and I tucked ourselves in for the entire, multi-episode event. I'll throw it out there: even better than the Emma Thompson/Kate Winslet version. For starters, it was beautifully filmed and expertly acted. Not that the other version was lacking, it's just that the BBC production is truer to the novel and less over the top in some of its caricatures. Loved it, loved it. Col. Brandon (in all his incarnations) deserves his own fan club, truly.

I've spent the last few days setting up my new ipod whilst trying to clean up the old one for my mother's use. It has a few new, nifty features (cover flow for album artwork, updated menu, etc.), but is essentially the same. At 80 gigs, I feel confident that it can hold three seasons of The Office, some Doctor Who, and maybe even a copy of Labyrinth for the long plane trip.

A little less than a month until I leave. It still hasn't quite hit me and won't, I imagine, until the last week or so. Then it will be a flurry of laundry, packing, and goodbyes :(

4 tales:

Kami said...

I'm so glad to hear you liked Sense & Sensibility! I can't wait to watch it.

Jeni Q said...

Wait. I thought we discussed that the premier happens *this* weekend. I am SO confused and now very nervous that my DVR did not record the show!!

Jeni Q said...

subscribing to comments

Sarah said...

Oh, I cheated. I'm a huge dork and have subscribed to the UK itunes in order to get the new season commentary. And as far as the episode goes... if I don't get the hook-up from friends overseas, I find other ways of viewing it. That's how I was able to watch it early. Bad, impatient Sarah!

After I finished watching it, I actually thought, "I bet Jeni will like Donna in this one." ;)