Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Pizza, pizza!


Wow. Has it really been almost a month since my last post? Oops...

What have I been up to lately? Well, a lot of things, but for now, let's just stick to pizza. When I come across a recipe that I fancy, I tend to obsess over how to tweak and perfect it. My love affair with homemade pizza began when KC's mother, Sue, had me help her make pizza dough one Saturday. This may come as a shock to some of you, but I had never bothered to make my own dough before, preferring to ignorantly buy pre-made crusts. Never again.

This recipe is so easy to prepare and so versatile, you'll never go back to Boboli again, I promise. The best part is, you can either let it rise a bit for a thicker crust or just immediately shove it in the oven if you like it's thinner, Italian counterpart.

You'll need:

1 1/2 cups warm water
2 teaspoon yeast (or one small packet)
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon oil
3 cups flour (either white or wheat)

Combine the above ingredients and knead for ten minutes. The mixture will be quite sticky, so use a little oil on your hands and push the dough into place on a greased pan. Depending on how thick you like your crust, let it rise for a bit or move on to the next step. Poke the dough with a fork and bake at 550 degrees for 5 minutes or until light brown. Remove from oven and pile on your favorite pizza toppings. Bake again for 8-10 minutes at 550 or until cheese is bubbly and allow to stand for 10-15 minutes.

I thought this simple, but delicious recipe was a good excuse to force a healthy chicken and veggie pizza on KC, who referred to the whole thing as "veg" as chicken, apparently, does not count as a meat. Whatever.


Along with all of the called for ingredients, I threw in some basil, garlic powder, and Parmesan cheese. Because that's just how I roll.



Pizza dough before baking...



...and after!



Tomato sauce, chicken, and roasted garlic (for extra bad breath)



Piling high the veggies-- yum ;)







The glorious finale



Sooo delicious!


We have our annual trip to the beach for my Dad's birthday this weekend, so I plan on making three fabulous pizzas for one of our family dinners. I'm in pure bliss just thinking about it...

0 tales: