Truly, dear readers. Here's my newest list of things I'm crazy about!
1.) Glorious Bruschetta
Over the Christmas holiday, I watched part of Julie & Julia, a movie which combines two of my favorite things: biographies and beautiful food. There was this one scene where Amy Adams' character pieces together the most gorgeous bruschetta you've ever seen. Unabashedly soaked in olive oil and covered with juicy orange and red heirloom tomatoes, my mouth fairly watered when I saw the actors stuffing their faces. And ever since that day, I have had bruschetta on the brain.
A couple of handy Google searches later, and I had located the recipe (and food stylist) used in the movie on TheAtlantic.com. Unfortunately, tomatoes are not in season right now and Haggen didn't have any fresh basil, so I had to make due with vine tomatoes and basil flakes. But still, it was a party in my mouth, and then I made it a few days later for KC, just so I could eat it again! ;)
2.) Secret Crowds / Angels and Airwaves
I love this song and could listen to it on repeat right now. The lead singer has such an interesting voice and I love the lyrics, especially in the chorus: "Let me feel you, carry you higher / Watch your words spread hope like fire / Secret crowds rise up and gather / Hear your voices sing back louder."
3.) Jane Eyre, the 2006 miniseries.

You might think that Jane Eyre is just one of those classics that, if you've seen one film adaptation, you've seen them all. Not true. If you haven't watched the Masterpiece Theatre version with Ruth Wilson and Toby Stephens, then trust me, you are missing out. Gothic and grand, this BBC four-part series has a huge budget that is reflected in its lush backdrops and sweeping score. Jane and Mr. Rochester sizzle, and my heart did those weak flip-flops it used to back when I was sixteen. Now, I must admit, that if you're the sort of purist that can't handle a little artist liberty, this steamier adaptation might not be your favorite. Though it strays a bit from the novel (for the sake of time in some cases, and to pump up the moody romance in others), I feel the spirit and tone of the film is very true to the book. And besides, Toby Stephens' petulant and brash Mr. Rochester will make you weak in the knees with his dark, furrowed brow and stormy eyes. Not to be outdone, Ruth Wilson is wonderful as Jane, managing to look plain and dour one moment, and then luminous and ethereal the next. Wilson's portrayal of Jane's wit, cleverness, keen intelligence, fiery spirit, and sound morals make her far more interesting and admirable than the entire cast of Twilight.
4.) Dreyer's Peppermint Ice Cream

It's sad enough that eggnog and pumpkin-flavored goodness are both seasonal-- why must peppermint ice cream forsake me too? Especially when it's the Dreyer's slow-churned variety, that is so silky and creamy, you could accidentally eat half of the carton if you're not careful. On second thought, it's probably better for my waistline that it's only available during the holidays...
5.) And while we're talking of things I ate today, let's add Koyo Foods Organic Ramen and Soba to the list. Should I add that it's instant and fuss-free, as well as low in fat and calories?

When I get homesick for Japan (or am freezing cold and craving a-warm-hug-in-a-bowl), I buy a handful of these packages at Whole Foods (about $1.29 each). I add spinach (in lieu of seaweed), green onions, mushrooms, and an egg to the mix and its just like the Japanese ramen I used to eat in Kansai. It comes in a variety of flavors, but I've only tried the regular ramen and soba ramen, both of which are delicious!
6.) Next, I have to add King Henry VIII and his many wives to the mix. Whether I'm tuning in to The Tudors (just finished the third season) or reading Alison Weir's amazing account, The Six Wives of Henry VIII, I can't seem to get enough of this train wreck of a king and his leading ladies. It's funny, because growing up, it was primarily ancient/classical history that fascinated me, not the Medieval/Renaissance period. That said, there's just something fascinating about deeply flawed Henry, a man with great gifts, power, and potential, whose self-delusion and greed rendered him a tyrant in the end. History really is better than fiction sometimes.
The aforementioned Showtime series, however, does contain quite a bit of fiction, but follows the general timeline of events for the most part. And the costumes are just gorgeous. Anne Boleyn and Jane Seymour have the most sumptuous gowns, and the lavish sets help to make up for the copious amounts of glaring/sneering Jonathan Rhys Meyers subjects us to.

7.) Being the girlfriend of my favorite guy! Awww, did you just throw up in your mouth, readers? Too bad ;) We'll be at the one-year mark next month-- holy cow! Time flies...
Happy New Year, friends!

0 tales:
Post a Comment