Saturday, November 27, 2010

Mission Possible: October


Almost as soon as we began the Mission Possible cooking project, I knew that an Indian themed dinner party was inevitable. Ironically enough, the best Indian food I've ever had was in Japan, when I lived near the Indian district of Kitano. There were two restaurants I frequented, the memories of which are so amazing, that I've been wary of trying Indian food here in the States. And while I used to make a white girl version of Aloo Gobi when I lived in Kobe, I've never attempted a full, multi-course meal.

Indian food...just makes me happy. The fragrant smells, spices, and ingredients are so colorful and exotic. I just associate them with warmth and comfort, bright saris, and large Bollywood-style dance numbers ;)


Balle Balle!


A traditional Indian meal consists of several dishes, so for our dinner party, I selected a wet curry (creamy chicken curry) and a dry one (butter potatoes and spinach), and paired them with chapatis (an unleavened flatbread) and basmati rice.


Starting off with the onions, garlic, and chilies



The finished curry





Making the butter potatoes and spinach


The chicken curry came together very quickly, but the potato dish took forever to cook! Next time, I'll start that one first. All of the evening's recipes came from a contemporary Indian cookbook I had purchased last summer at Barnes and Noble, and were very easy to follow.




Homemade chapatis



My kind of comfort food!



Our charming dinner guests: Brian and Sandi



And an incredibly moist pumpkin cake for dessert!


I can't recommend this pumpkin cake recipe enough: light, fluffy, and so decadent.

Only two more months to go... I can't believe it's already almost over!

0 tales: