Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Mission Possible: June


I could binge on the Travel Channel, especially shows like "Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations" and "Man Versus Food". I'm fascinated by all of the cultures and genres of food and flavors, and find myself imagining recipes in my head, trying to recreate them. Naturally, these sorts of programs help to keep me enthused and inspired for my own cooking project. Mission Possible began in January and so far, we've had six months of adventurous cuisine. It's been a blast ;) Here's a recap of our June dinner party...

Once upon a time in Portland, Maine, I tasted the best BBQ that ever crossed my lips: tangy, melt-in-your-mouth pulled pork served alongside spicy jalapeno cornbread. For years, I've talked about it, longed for it, and finally decided, oh to heck with it-- I should try to make it! It should come as no surprise that, when I suggested it to KC, he heartily approved. And so began my quest for the perfect slow-cooker BBQ pulled pork recipe.

Now because I love to make things a little complicated, I used a combination of two recipes. Secret ingredients? A huge pork shoulder roast, tons of onions, and Coca Cola. Stewing in an onion-y, Coke soup, the meat was incredibly tender and falling off of the bone by the time I got home from work. I separated it with two forks and dumped it back in the crockpot, along with plenty of BBQ sauce and Tabasco.


I had to keep slapping KC's hands to keep him away from this plate!


For my cornbread side dish, I opted for the Barefoot Contessa's Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread recipe.


Before...



And after!


Our dinner guests were my sister, Carrie, and her husband Dustin. I sat everyone down with heaping plates of pork, bread, and a simple green salad, and we all went to town. So, so delicious! I think my eyes might have rolled back in my head. Om nom nom!


Hello, beautiful!




Everything was fabulous. The cornbread's perfect balance of cornmeal and flour ensured that it was fluffy and moist, and the cheddar/jalapeno goodness was perfection. Definitely, definitely a keeper. I'm looking forward to toying with the pulled pork recipe-- just imagine the flavor options! Tequila lime or teriyaki...but I digress. June = success! Riding that high, I'm even more excited for this month's menu.

And, on an unrelated note, let's talk cake:


Because KC loves cheesecake, and because I love KC, I made him a strawberry rhubarb cheesecake torte.



Light, fresh, and fantastic!



A Father's Day Mexican chocolate cake with glaze


Stay tuned for Mission Possible: July!

0 tales: