Sunday, June 13, 2010

May 11th, 2010: 30 Seconds To Mars concert


Erin, her husband Mike, and I had purchased VIP tickets, so we had the pleasure of being able to cut to the front of the line and enter the venue two hours early. I knew the Roseland was small, but wasn't really prepared for exactly how small. Fully packed, it's like sardine city.


Posing by the bands' tour buses


Our Iloveallaccess hostess gave us our tickets, VIP bracelets, and goody bag, and then led us to the room where our pre-party was being held. I love that the snacks included things that could potentially ruin your breath (like ranch dressing and chips), right before you're supposed to meet the band ;)

After some chit-chat and staring at the clock, the 30STM boys finally entered, hidden beneath hats, scarves, and sunglasses and looking very much like they didn't really want to be there. After watching their music videos for months, being in the same room with them felt pretty surreal. Everyone shuffled into line formation and group by group, approached for a photo. Having seen Takarasiennes up close and personal (and met Osa on multiple occasions), I was relatively confident that I wouldn't spew nonsense, but still wasn't sure what to say. Erin and I intentionally moved to the back of the line so we would have more time to observe everyone else's interactions.

When my time drew nearer, Erin begged me to ask Jared to take off his hat, which most inconveniently, was covering his bright magenta (and very recognizable) mohawk. And because I have very little shame in these situations (and because it was really important to her), I agreed.

It was finally my turn. As I approached the guys, I tried to work out in my head how I was going to give the Moleskin journal I had brought along to Shannon, who was at the far end of the trio. But when I reached Jared Leto, my feet stubbornly froze on the spot. It was awkward. I held out my "This is War" cd cover and, to my great annoyance, found my hands were shaking a little. I hope I said hello. Would have been rude to just shove something at them.

What kills me about these moments of anticipation and excitement, is that they go by in a blur. It's hard to recall what really happened, which is just silly, since you would think your brain could commit three minutes to memory no problem. I remember Jared signing slowly, with a little pop flourish at the end of the last stroke. He must have passed it to the other guys, but honestly, I don't remember. Though I did mysteriously end up with three signatures at the end of it all...

I looked up into his sunglasses obscured face, and clearly and neatly said: "This is for you. Every artist or writer needs one." Jared took it and thanked me and Tomo made some comment like, "Hey, it's a 'flood' journal." I recall being pretty pleased with how well the conversation, albeit brief, had gone thus far and took it as a sign of encouragement to proceed. I then popped the question, "Can I get a picture with your pomegranate hair?"

Jared barely hesitated. "Neeewp." (Really, it was "nope" but drawled in such a dry way it made it sound as though the o's were replaced with e's). I was sort of startled by this dismissal and the horrified thought crossed my mind that Jared Leto might be kind of an arse. Nevertheless, I moved into photo-posing position, squeezed in between Tomo and Jared, threw my arms around them, and smiled. During which, thankfully, Jared softened his refusal with a "The mohawk is resting." I thanked the guys and told them they were great before moving out of the way so Erin, who was right behind me, could have her turn.



After the meet and greet, the guys quickly took their leave and we went upstairs to the actual concert hall. One of the opening acts, Neon Trees, was performing their sound check, so we moved to the front row barrier to watch. Tomo, 30STM's guitar player, who apparently isn't shy, popped out several times to assist and greeted us with a "hey guys." He also slyly snuck his way into our group photo.


Unexpected Tomo


Once the front doors officially opened, the place filled up fast. The people behind us were discussing how violent these concerts sometimes get, with all of the pushing and shoving, and Erin and I traded raised eyebrows. This, I learned later, was no exaggeration. We were smushed, elbowed, and pushed against the barrier throughout the entire concert, as some of the braver fans crowd-surfed over us. Some people had to be pulled out of the crowd by the security guards for acting up and others because they were fainting from lack of air. Crazy stuff!

Neon Trees opened the show, and I have to same I thoroughly enjoyed them. A few weeks later they appeared on the Jay Leno show, so it's cool to say I saw them live. Mute Math was the second act, and holy cow, these guys are so awesome, I would have paid to just see them. Aside from being exceptionally talented, they were fun to watch. The lead singer has really interesting voice and the band's sound is really unique. I highly recommend them.


Neon Trees



Mute Math




At one point, the lead singer jumped down from the stage, ran alongside the barrier, and grabbed and squeezed my hand as he passed by. Shortly after, he jumped up right in front of me, as though he were going to crowd surf. I had a moment of blind panic as I grabbed his thigh, thinking he was trying to climb on us (thankfully, he didn't)

Finally, 30 Seconds to Mars took the stage. Jared, predictably, was a total spazz. I can't believe how high energy he is and how much he trusts his fans. He throws himself into the throng, climbs on people and things, and joins the audience in the middle of the crowd. The audience fed off of his enthusiasm, and that's when the insanity (and pain) began. Erin and I were crushed against the barrier, so I was very thankful when it was time for us to join the band on stage halfway through the show.

Moments of highlight:

After we were ushered to our place just off stage (mere feet from Shannon, the drummer), there was one point when Jared was really getting the crowd worked up. He called for jumping, dancing, or "spazzing out" (I'll give the guy credit, he has a commanding presence and knows how to get the audience into a frenzy). I had taken the opportunity to sit on an equipment case and rest my aching feet, but was quickly hauled back onto them by Erin, who wanted me to jump with her and the other girls. We jumped in time to the music, watching Jared spin and twirl, and at one point, he took notice of us backstage, and exuberantly turned and pointed at us in the middle of his song.


Tomo on guitar



Jared, still in his sunglasses










Actually getting to go on stage for the encore song, Kings and Queens, Erin and I stood right behind Tomo, the guitarist. We were all crowded so close to him, I was amazed he wasn't annoyed to have his personal bubble invaded (Jared was bringing tons of people on stage), but he took it all in stride. He turned and acknowledged us and gave Erin and I each a high five. We were so close, we could have goosed him (but didn't) and, to my amusement, Erin reached over and playfully flicked a lock of his hair (he didn't notice).


Brought out on stage for the finale







Posing with our new friend, Isabelle


After the show, Erin begged to wait by the tour buses to see if the guys would come out and chat, which they sometimes do. Eventually, Shannon (Jared's brother) emerged and hung out with us for about twenty minutes. He graciously signed things and spoke with those who had gathered around. He struck me as very easy going and down-to-earth, which, I imagine, is rare for rockstars.





I'm not huge on concerts, generally, as I don't care for large crowds; but I had a great time with Mike and Erin, and it really was a once in a lifetime experience to be able to meet the band and join them on stage. Erin is pretty keen on following them on their next tour... we'll see ;)

0 tales: