Last Wednesday, with some trepidation, I decided to attempt the art of cooking okonomiyaki. I had watched the event several times and had even been instructed firsthand by Maiko and Kenichi. But I was still very intimidated. After all, I wasn't just cooking it for myself, but for my family too!
Luckily, I had smuggled most of the key ingredients from Japan in my suitcase! Maiko had also been kind enough to send me her recipe, so there was really no excuse not to give it a go.
Mixing up the batter portion of the recipe
After a little bit of guess work, I assembled my first okonomiyaki "pancake" on the griddle and watched it cook. When it came time to flip it, I was in agony over the proper flipping technique. It was such a large, bulky, cabbage-filled shape! How was one supposed to manage the feat of flipping it without spilling its cabbagy guts all over the place? Luckily, Mom and I (with the aid of several spatulas) met with success.
Mom, the proud okonomiyaki flipper
Almost done!
When the okonomiyaki was invitingly crisp and brown, I smothered it in authentic Japanese okonomiyaki sauce and seaweed flakes and served it up! To my great delight (and sense of accomplishment, I might add), it was delicious!
Yatta! The finished product ;)
Saturday, June 14, 2008
Okonomiyaki making
Labels:
okonomiyaki
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 tales:
Congrats!!! (Cannot cook-->)
Post a Comment