Thursday, March 6, 2008

The art of book-finding



Most people venture into a bookstore to choose a book; however, more often than not, I wander into a Borders and the book chooses me. Sometimes it just happens to catch my eye, peering shyly at me from between its neighbors. Other times it practically launches itself off of the shelf, “Pick me! Pick me!” And before I’ve realized it, it has buried its way into my mind, and I’m reading the back cover, tasting the story description, turning its words and images over in my mouth.

Generally, I’m pleasantly surprised by my fateful discovery, though there has been the rare occasion where the book and I quarreled. But the best experience of all is the unexpected falling, when you’re under the spell of the author’s words and in love with the characters before you even recognize it. It’s those experiences that are the most priceless, like uncovering a treasure in the sand. Some of my favorite books, my dearest literary friends, have been discovered this way. I recall that “The Virgin Blue” and “Year of Wonders” found me among the labyrinths of possibilities (and by the way, I highly recommend both).

It’s fun to imagine, and I tend to imagine a great deal, that certain things like books come to us just when we need them. Maybe unconsciously we’re looking for a specific companion to get us through a certain period of our lives. If only more people knew to take refuge in the faraway places and beautiful impossibilities of books. I think there would be fewer stressed out and miserable individuals out there. Thank God for the luxury of reading ;)

1 tales:

Kami said...

I second all of that, sister!! Reading is such a guilty pleasure for me these days...